Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Great Wave Zentangle

4th and 5th grade are starting out with the same project this year. (I don't usually do that) 
Both are learning about line, rhythm and value. 
First, we read a book called "The Great Wave" by Veronique Massenot (Author), Bruno Pilorget (Illustrator). 
It is a story and illustrations inspired by the artwork of Hokusai and his print "The Great Wave", from his series "The Thirty-Six views of Mount Fuji". 

After the story we talked about rhythm and how to show movement on a flat page. Next, I gave students step by step direction on how to draw a wave. Then they started to get creative by adding zentangle patterns and rhythms inside the ocean. 

Don't you just love the sea theme?

After filling the ocean with zentangles. We started to talk value. And I gave students tips and techniques on how to use watercolor paint to create values to keep a monochromatic color scheme for the wave.

 I encouraged students to chose a color other than blue.

 I think the purple waves are my favorite.
After the ocean was painted, we talked contrast. What color choice would really look good for their sky and Mt. Fuji?
 Some used Complementary Colors... and boy do they POP!

  Again my smART Artists never cease to amaze me!!!
(These are finished 4th grade examples )
(I was inspired by a Pinterest post. Thank you, Alum Creek Elementary and your wonderful Artsonia page: Check it out here! )


Here are some finished 5th grade creations! 


SUPERB!!

No comments:

Post a Comment